Boards & Committees
Parks & Recreation
Town of Paris Municipal Building
Table Of Contents:
Town of Paris History
Town of Paris History:
Town of Paris
was originally included within the Town of Whitestown, and gained autonomy on April 10, 1792, when Whitestown was divided. The name Paris was given to the Town in honor of Colonel
, a merchant from Fort Plain, New York, who in 1789 generously supplied early residents of the Clinton area with corn and other food.
Shortly before the establishment of the Town of Paris in 1792, a small settlement formed on what is today known as the Hamlet of Paris Hill. The hamlet is home to two churches, the St. Paul's Episcopal Church, which has been named to the National Historic Registry, and the Paris United Church of Christ. Besides a feline veterinarian, there are no other businesses operating in this tranquil community.
The second settlement to occur in the Town of Paris was in the vicinity today known as
Today this hamlet is the location of the Town offices and highway department. Sauquoit also hosts the greatest number of businesses within the town. A convenience store, several restaurants, beauty shops, and a bank are just a few of these businesses. The Sauquoit Valley School campus located on Oneida Street and Sulphur Springs Road is also located in this hamlet.
The first settlers of Cassville were Amasa Burchard, Elias and Mark Hopkins, and Eleazer Kellogg, all of whom settled there in 1803. Cassville lies in a low-lying area adjacent to Sauquoit Creek, and was named for Gen. Lewis B. Cass, Secretary of War in Andrew Jackson's cabinet. Today, a safe, new 4-lane bridge spans over Richfield Junction on Rte. 8. Farms surround Cassville's hollow, along with a gravel bed and numerous homes.
Clayville is the only incorporated Village in the Town of Paris and was once known as
. The Village was incorporated in 1887, and reached its peak just after World War I. The census shows Clayville reached its zenith in population and employment during this period. Today we find one major industry in operation, Homogenous Metals, and several small businesses. The Village is also home to the Clayville Public Library and the Town of Paris Historical Society.
© 2015 Town Of Paris, Oneida County
Website Contact: Patricia A Terns
2580 Sulphur Springs Rd
Sauquoit, NY 13456
Printed On August 05, 2015